If you like chocolate, then this is the recipe for you. Double Chocolate muffins are sinfully decadent and guaranteed to be devoured quickly by all. Chocolate lovers, this recipe is a keeper.
Double chocolate muffins are one of my favourite treats. They’re quick and easy to make, which makes them a perfect go-to when I’m in a hurry. I like to keep some baking ingredients on hand for quick and easy snacks. This chocolate muffin recipe is no different—it’s a super simple recipe to bake on short notice, and I bet non-chocolate lovers will be great fans of these cute chocolate nib muffins.
Why’ll love this recipe?
- I love this muffin recipe because it is simple and easy to bake.
- The muffin is double chocolate with Dutch-process cocoa powder and semisweet mini chocolate chips. The Dutch-processed cocoa powder gives these muffins an irresistible depth of flavor and color. Also every bite of muffin, you get lots of chocolate chips. Chocolate lovers, pure bliss
- These muffins are moist and fluffy with a soft texture. Relish it while the chocolate chips are still melting.
- Finally, this recipe needs a mixing bowl and a whisk to whip up the whole process. (I use an electric hand mixer because I’m used to it.)
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Muffins
The measurements are given below in the recipe card. There are two tabs. One is the US cup, and the other is Metric measurements. Do click the tab according to your preference.
- all-purpose flour
- chocolate chips (semi sweet )
- baking powder
- baking soda
- Dutch processed cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
Step-by-step instructions of double chocolate Muffin
Firstly add egg, sugar, oil, and yogurt in a mixing bowl.
Whisk well until the sugar is dissolved completely.
Sieve all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Whisk on low to medium speed until dry ingredients combine well. The muffin batter may look thick. So add milk a little at a time to loosen the batter.
Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and gently mix with a spatula.
Finally, add in vanilla extract ( optional ) and gently mix it. Double chocolate muffin batter is ready. Preheat oven to 180 * C.
Now, to finish up, be generous and top up with more mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. Bake it at 180°C for about 20 to 22 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Every oven is different, so keep an eye on 20 minutes.
Well-baked double chocolate muffin is ready to devour.
These double chocolate muffins are perfect for any occasion, like a kid’s birthday party, potlucks, or gathering. It is apt for breakfast, brunch, dessert, and packing kids’ snack boxes. Just serve a muffin with a cup of cold milk or a hot cup of coffee or chai.
Yes, you can use it. The texture of the muffin will not be the same. Also, you can use a 50:50 ratio of both flours.
No, you can use any unsweetened cocoa powder available in your pantry. Use quality cocoa powder for the best result. Because the aroma and rich color of the muffin is vital for this recipe,
Yes, feel free to use your favorite chocolate chips, either dark or milk chocolate. Chocolate chips are purely for an extra chocolatey texture to the muffins.
The reason may be overbaking and excess flour. So accurate measurement of the ingredients is vital for muffin drying out.
Yes, you can add only butter in place of oil, or a 50:50 ratio of butter and flavourless oil.
You can use your favourite nuts along with chocolate chips. It is purely your palate’s preference.
You can replace it with Greek yogurt or sour cream for this recipe.
How to store Double Chocolate Muffins?
Freeze the muffin in a zip lock cover or cling wrap each muffin individually and place it in a zip pouch. It’ll stay good for up to 3 months.
Some muffin and cupcakes recipes you may like to try
Achieving a moist texture is crucial. For this reason, do not overmix the muffin batter. Over-mixing leads to gluten formation, and in turn, muffin texture turns tough, crunchy, and dense. Also, do not reduce the quantity of sugar. Sugar is important to hold moisture in the muffin.
To achieve a bakery-style tall muffin top, fill the muffin cup liners to ¾ of the cup.
Double Chocolate Muffins/ Bakery-Style Chocolate Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1¼+¼ cup chocolate chips ( semi-sweet ) ( ¼ cup for topping )
- ⅓ cup milk ( add a little at a time )
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( optional )
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Firstly add egg, sugar, oil, and yogurt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk well until the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk on low to medium speed until dry ingredients combine well. The muffin batter may look thick. So add milk a little at a time to loosen the batter.
- Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and gently mix with a spatula.
- Finally, add in vanilla extract ( optional ) and gently mix it. Double chocolate muffin batter is ready. Preheat oven to 180 * C.
- Now, to finish up, be generous and top up with more mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. Bake it at 180°C for about 20 to 22 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Every oven is different, so keep an eye on 20 minutes.
- Well-baked double chocolate muffin is ready to devour.