Raw mango rice is a dish that comes alive with the tanginess of mango in every spoonful. This rice recipe is a tangy, crunchy, and delicious variety of rice recipes originating from South Indian cuisine. If you are a mango lover, then this recipe is for you.
This recipe is one of the most famous rice recipes in the southern part of India. The Mangai Sadam recipe that I share today is a Tamil Nadu style of preparation. In Andhra Pradesh, it’s popularly known as Mamidikaya Pulihora or Mango Pulihora. In Karnataka, this dish is known as Mavinakayi Chitranna. Every household in any state has its own recipe for making this easy mango rice, with a few variations.
As the summer season is on, so is the mango season too. I love raw mangoes and try to make recipes with them. Some recipes I make during the mango season are raw mango rice, raw mango coconut rice, instant mango pickle, mango pachidi, vegetable mango sambhar, mavadu (small mango) pickle, etc. This mango rice is one of my favourite and easiest recipes to make in under 20 minutes.
For making any variety of rice, precooked rice is the best. You can also use leftover rice, and it saves time too. In today’s recipes, I precooked rice to make coconut rice (the recipe is already in the blog) and mango rice.
Why’ll you love this recipe
- It is super easy to prepare in under twenty minutes.
- It all needs a mild tangy raw mango, pre-cooked rice, and two to three simple ingredients for tempering.
- You can add any mix-ins according to the family’s taste. But I didn’t add any. I love to relish it as it is.
- Perfect to pack for lunch boxes for both office-goers and kids.
Ingredients For Mango Rice
The measurements are given below in the recipe card.
- mango ( raw )
- rice ( precooked )
- mustard seed
- urad dal
- gram dal
- curry leaves
- salt to taste
Step-by-step preparation of Raw Mango Rice Recipe
In a Kadhai or wok, add oil on medium heat.
Add mustard seeds, urad dal, tur dal, and dry chilies, and wait until it splutters. Roast until the dal turns golden in colour.
Add chopped onions and saute until it turns translucent.
Now add the grated raw mango, and sauté for a few seconds on low to medium heat.
Add salt to taste.
Finally, add precooked rice and a little asafoetida (optional ) and gently mix until the mango mixture combines well with the rice.
Garnish with curry leaves and now raw mango rice is ready to serve.
Serving Suggestions for Mango Rice
Serve green mango rice with any raita like onion, carrot, beetroot, cucumber, etc. Also, it goes well with curry varieties like vegetables, paneer butter masala, and chicken curry. I love the rice as it is, and I serve my family with egg masala, potato fries, papad, and fryums.
I have used Sona Masoori. Other options are basmati rice or the rice you use regularly.
I have used Kilimooku Manga (Tamil) or Totapuri Mango for the recipe. It has the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Use raw mango or green mango with a balance of sweetness and tanginess.
Yes, you can! Since the rice is in the refrigerator, sprinkle water and microwave for 30 seconds. It makes the rice soft and ready to absorb the flavors of the mango rice.
Yes, you can use freshly cooked rice but make sure it is not mushy.
I love to add nuts like cashews and groundnuts. If you like mango rice on the slightly sweeter side, add raisins. Add nuts or raisins after adding the onion. Otherwise, it’ll get burned.
Some Rice Recipes You May Like To Try
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know your feedback in the comments below. I love hearing from you! Happy Cooking!
Recipe Card 👇
Raw Mango Rice/ Manga Sadam
- 5 cups rice ( precooked )
- 1½ cups grated mango ( raw mango )
- 1 onion ( medium sized )
- 3 tablespoon oil (I used sunflower oil, you can use according to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon gram dal
- 2 dry chillies
- 2 pinch asafoetida ( optional )
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- In a Kadhai or wok, add oil on medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds, urad dal, tur dal, and dry chilies, and wait until it splutters. Roast until the dal turns golden in colour.
- Add chopped onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Now add the grated raw mango, and sauté for a few seconds on low to medium heat.
- Add salt to taste.
- Finally, add precooked rice and a little asafoetida ( optional ) and gently mix until the mango mixture combines well with the rice.
- Garnish with curry leaves and now raw mango rice is ready to serve.