Air fryer chicken 65 using marinade is a healthier version of the famous Indian snack, chicken 65. Traditionally, chicken 65 is deep-fried in oil and coated with a spicy mix of Indian spices. But with an air fryer, you can make this dish with a fraction of the oil and still get that crispy texture and spicy kick. It’s perfect for those who want to indulge in their cravings without the guilt.
Chicken 65 is a popular dish enjoyed by many people worldwide. It originated in South India and can be enjoyed throughout the year, not just on special occasions. It’s a versatile dish that can be customized to suit different palates and preferences.
This was inspired by my other chicken recipes like Chicken Lollipop, Easy and Simple Grilled Chicken on this site, and pairs well with Hariyali Mutton Biriyani, Vegetable Fried Rice, Coconut Rice/Nariyal Chawal etc. Check my other Rice recipes that goes well with chilli chicken 65.
For the marinade
These are the simple masala ingredients needed for the marinade: turmeric powder, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, yogurt, salt and bone in chicken.
- Chicken– I use bone-in chicken, which gives it more flavor from the bone to the chicken. You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
- Chilli powder-I use homemade chili powder to add heat to the chicken.
- Ginger garlic paste– I use homemade Ginger Garlic Paste for this recipe. You can use store-bought.
- Oil- Use any oil with a high smoke point. I prefer using sunflower oil.
- Yogurt– It helps to tenderise the meat.
- Cornflour & All-purpose flour– This combination helps to maintain crispy chicken for a few hours after air frying or frying.
- Salt– to taste.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step-by-step instruction of air fryer chicken 65 preparation
Wash and clean bone-in chicken thoroughly.
Mix the spice powder with the yogurt to a creamy consistency. The marinade is ready for chicken 65.
Get ready with all the spice powders and yogurt on a bowl for the marinade.
Add in cleaned chicken to the yogurt marinade.
Mix the chicken well to the marinade as shown.
For crispy chicken, combine cornflour and all-purpose flour with a little oil. Let it rest for an hour.
Preheat the air fryer to200 C.
Grease the air fryer basket as shown.
Place the chicken pieces in the preheated air fryer basket.
Air fry for 15 minutes on one side.
After 15 minutes, flip the chicken and air fry for 6 to 7 minutes.
Air fryer chicken 65 is ready to serve as a starter or a side to rice varieties.
Garnish with onion rings and cilantro and serve yummy, succulent air fryer Chicken 65 using marinade as a starter or a side to rice or rotis.
Hint: How to clean air-fryer basket
Firstly, after air-frying chicken 65, wait until the air fryer basket cools down completely. This helps avoid burns in the kitchen.
Secondly, remove the residue from the basket. If the crumbs are hard to remove, soak the basket in the water filled in the kitchen sink or just dampen the crumbs with water.
After a few minutes, when the crumb particals are loosening, use a sponge and gently remove the food particals. Do not use any hard scrubbers or abrasives to clean the basket.
Thoroughly clean, rinse it well twice or three times with running water. Then pat it dry with a clean towel and dry well.
Make sure the air fryer basket is dry before air-frying.
There are numerous options for substitution for all types of diets.
- Non-Vegetarians – You can follow the same recipe for seafood and meat, but the air frying time may vary.
- Vegetarians – Some great substitutes are cottage cheese, cauliflower, mushroom, potatoes, and broccoli. You can also try it with other vegetables and let me know how it goes.
- Vegan – I recommend trying it with tofu and soya meal.
- Spices – When substituting the spices, you can use paprika powder or pepper powder instead of chili powder. Additionally, you can choose your preferred oil for cooking.
- Adding curry leaves to the marinade or separately frying them and adding them to the air-fried chicken would enhance the flavour.
- Also, tossing green chilies in the marinade or separately adds an extra bit of heat and flavour to the chicken.
- And yes, adding fried cashews on top of the final dish would give it richness and make it a crowd-pleaser at gatherings.
How to store air fryer chicken 65
After cooking Chicken 65, it is important to let it cool down completely before storing it. I recommend wrapping it in silver foil and placing it in an air-tight container before storing it in the refrigerator. This will help it stay fresh for up to three days. Remember to consume it within this time frame to ensure it stays safe to eat.
Here are some tips to achieve succulent air-fried chicken.
If you’re using an air fryer, use bone-in chicken as it helps to retain the moisture in the chicken. Also, yogurt or citrus-based marinade can help tenderize the meat and add moisture. And adding a little oil to the marinade can also help add some extra moisture to the chicken and form a crispy exterior. Lastly, don’t forget to preheat the air fryer before cooking. These simple tips can help you achieve the best air fryer chicken 65.
The reason behind the name is actually the year (1965) it was made in it at Buhari Hotel in Chennai.
Yes, you can use boneless, skinless chicken for air fryer Chicken 65. However, that boneless chicken tends to cook faster than bone-in chicken. Also, cooking times differ.
Yes, you can marinate chicken and store it in an airtight container. Cook it within three to four days for the best result.
For a crispy texture, it is important to coat the chicken lightly with a mixture of all-purpose flour and cornflour. This will help in browning and crisping up the chicken’s exterior. In addition to this, preheating the air fryer and avoiding overcrowding the basket can also contribute to achieving a crispy texture.
Yes, you can cook with a two to three tablespoon of oil on a medium heat for three to four minutes until golden brown.
Pairing For Air Fryer Chicken 65
These are my favourite dishes to serve with Air fryer Chicken 65 using marinade:
Air Fryer Chicken 65 Using Marinade
- 500 gm Chicken ( bone-in )
- 2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- ½ Onion ( for garnish )
- 1 sprig Coriander or curry leaves ( for garnish )
For the yogurt marinade
- 3 tablespoon Chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ¼ Cup Yogurt
- 1½ teaspoon GingerGarlic Paste
- Salt ( to taste )
- 3 tablespoon oil ( sunflower oil )
- Wash and clean bone-in chicken thoroughly.
- Get ready with all the spice powders and yogurt on a bowl for the marinade.
- Mix the spice powder with the yogurt to a creamy consistency. The marinade is ready for chicken 65.
- Add in cleaned chicken to the yogurt marinade.
- Mix the chicken well to the marinade as shown.
- For crispy chicken, combine cornflour and all-purpose flour with a little oil. Let it rest for an hour.
- Preheat the air fryer to 190 C
- Grease the air fryer basket as shown.
- Place the chicken pieces in the preheated air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 15 minutes on one side.
- After 15 minutes, flip the chicken and air fry for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Air fryer chicken 65 is ready to serve as a starter or a side to rice varieties.
- Serve succulent air fryer Chicken 65 using marinade as a starter or a side to rice or rotis.